Scholarships have been a part of our school since its foundation in 1883. We offer awards at every stage of the Barney journey, as well as the potential for financial assistance through Means Tested Bursaries (MTBs are completely separate from the scholarship process).
- The 13+ award (Flounders Scholarship) gives the Scholar access to the Scholarship Programme and attracts a fee remission of up to 5% of day fees.
- The 16+ award (Balliol Scholarship) gives the Scholar access to the Scholarship programme and a fee remission of up to 10% of day fees.
The names of these Scholarships hark back to the School’s Charter from 1882.
Every Scholar, whether they are an Academic, Art, Drama, Music or Sport Scholar or a combination of these, is part of the Barney Scholarship Programme. This includes a core scholarship skills programme, focusing on the mental skills needed to produce outstanding performance, and a bespoke top-up programme devised by each individual department.
Scholars will have regular meetings with Scholarship Mentors, seminars, talks and lectures from experts in their respective fields, and an invitation to celebrate success at Scholarship Dinners and other high-profile events. Scholars can be identified at school by the prestigious Scholars’ Badge, which is worn on the lapel of the Scholar’s jacket.
- 18 October 2023 – Deadline for Year 9 and 12 Scholarship Applications
- 2 November 2023 – Year 9 & 12 Entry Drama Scholarship Assessments
- 6 November 2023 – Year 12 Entry Sport Scholarship Testing & Entrance Interviews
- 6 November 2023 – Year 9 Entry Sport Scholarship Testing
- 7 November 2023 – Year 9 Entry Academic Scholarship Testing
- 7 November 2023 – Year 9 Entry Music Scholarship Testing
- 8 November 2023 – Year 12 Entry Academic Scholarship Testing
- 8 November 2023 – Year 12 Entry Music Scholarship Testing
- 10 November 2023 – Year 9 & 12 Entry Art Scholarship Testing
If you are interested in applying for a Barnard Castle School Scholarship, contact a member of our Admissions Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Our Scholarship application forms can also be downloaded by visiting the links on this page.