Not all Sixth Forms are the same and at Barnard Castle School we are clear on what makes ours unique. First and foremost, we are defined by the happiness of our students in their surroundings, the friendly, family atmosphere and sense of community they themselves create. In this environment, students feel confident to step outside their comfort zones and to explore the full extent of their potential.
The Sixth Form experience at Barnard Castle School offers each student:
- Outstanding pastoral care within a nurturing environment so that every student finds their niche and can embrace new challenges and opportunities with confidence;
- An individual programme of guided independence, encouraging a productive and reflective approach to private study;
- Academic rigour from a range of highly valued A Levels and internationally recognised Cambridge Pre-U courses;
- A dedicated Sixth Form study and social centre which places us among the top centres in the region for academic study and resources;
- Experienced and inspirational subject specialists offering individual attention in small classes, tutorials and lectures;
- Exceptional facilities for high quality sport, science, music and creative arts;
- Genuine opportunities for leadership development in the daily management of our school community;
- Boarding provision, both full and flexi, for the chance to experience life away from home before university;
- Expert advice on higher education, careers and future pathways supported by an extensive programme of external speakers;
- Opportunities for character development through programmes like Combined Cadet Force, Duke of Edinburgh’s Award and charitable service;
- The chance to join a 5,000-strong Old Barnardians alumni community offering outstanding careers links and continuing the lifelong bonds made at school.
Visit our ‘Case Studies’ page to learn more about some of our most recent leavers’ Barney Sixth Form experience here.