Years 10 / 11 GCSEs
The GCSE curriculum for Years 10 & 11 at Barnard Castle School comprises a common core of subjects taken by all pupils, to which are added three option subjects of the pupil’s own choice. This is designed to equip all pupils with the qualifications needed for future study and employ- ment whilst enabling them also to develop their own strengths and interests. Please click on the subject links for syllabus information.
All pupils study the following subjects to GCSE level:
- English (with most adding English Literature) – Year 11 (2015-17) specification, Year 10 (from Sept 2016) specification
- One Modern Foreign Language – from French, German and Spanish (see below for a second optional language)
- Sciences – Biology, Chemistry and Physics
- All pupils in Year 10 (with occasional exceptions) are entered for a core IT qualification (MOS), which is recognised by employers and universities as a measure of IT competence. There is an additional cost for this course, which is added to the school bill.
Pupils select three other GCSE subjects:
- Business Studies
- Classical Civilisation
- Computer Science
- Creative iMedia (a Cambridge National qualification, not GCSE)
- Design Technology
- Physical Education
- Religious Studies
- French as an extra language [If pupils have chosen German or Spanish as their main foreign language, they may opt to do French as an additional foreign language.]
Personal, Social and Health Education
Examination Boards and Codes
There are four national examination boards in England and Wales: AQA, Pearson (Edexcel), OCR and WJEC. Further information is obtainable from the examination boards’ own websites. In addition, some of our departments offer International GCSEs, often through Cambridge University’s Cambridge International Exams (CIE).