Vision & Ethos
Barnard Castle School is committed to providing an outstanding educational experience for boys and girls from the local area, throughout the United Kingdom and the world. Grounded in Christian values, we provide an environment where each child is nurtured and encouraged to develop to their full potential. We celebrate success within and beyond the classroom in a close community, bound by a spirit of endeavour, compassion and enjoyment in everything we do. We believe that boys and girls learn to live and work together best in an unpretentious, open and respectful atmosphere, as befits our school’s foundation and values.
We provide a broad and balanced curriculum for all, promoting academic rigour and the rewards of endeavour, the wonder of discovery and the richness that comes from an aptitude for life-long learning. Equally essential to the success of our boys and girls is the development of confidence, integrity, resilience and teamwork, which are learned in a range of sports and a wealth of cultural and co-curricular activities. Pupils also learn a sense of duty, selflessness and the importance of community.
Our nurturing environment ensures that every child will find his or her niche here and have the opportunity to embrace new challenges in an atmosphere of supportive encouragement. We believe in giving our children space to enjoy their childhood without pressure to grow up too quickly. As they progress though the school, pupils develop and exercise leadership in a caring, collaborative and dynamic relationship with their peers, teachers and house parents.
At the heart of all that we do lie the values of Barnard Castle School which, since 1883, have been:
Barnard Castle School aims to:
- Offer a broad curriculum in order to achieve knowledge, enjoyment of learning, and the acquisition of skills necessary to be responsible members of society;
- Encourage academic enrichment and the development of curiosity, teaching how, rather than what, to think;
- Ensure that each child fulfils their academic potential at each stage of their education;
- Promote the value of application, perseverance, initiative, independent thought and co-operation;
- Promote a community which values honesty, mutual respect, enjoyment, service and good citizenship, placing an emphasis on leadership;
- Prepare children for the next stage in their lives, whatever that may be.